Monday, June 3, 2013

Road Trip Game

Oi Vey! 

This has been quite the long drive... I am stopped for a quick jaunt around a gas station parking lot while I refuel the my home-on-wheels for today... And I guess I decided to write a quick and quite pointless post. 

Mostly to just brag about my new little gem I found today... I was getting worried about my ability to stay awake driving solo for my trip today... Especially as I was leaving in the early afternoon instead of my usual 4:30 AM departure... So, I decided to listen to an audiobook, and have CD's for any and every possible genre that my mood during that stint of my trip called for... And, I wanted to find a way to play the license plate game (without having my notebook and pen handy to write down the name of the next new plate that I just spotted down... all while trying to maintain my 88mph speed and trying not to send "Stupefy" spells at every semi truck that I got stuck behind.

When I decided to check the ever wonderful App Store. And, lo and behold... There she was... "US Pl8S" (I would insert the link if my App Store would cooperate with me.) It's quick and easy and all you have to do is tap verifying the state that you just saw and it hides it from the list, whittling down the Out-Of-State'ers one by one...

Yet another list for me to keep track of...
And I LOVE it! 

I played this game with Barney while making this same trip a few summers ago and we were able to spot all but 4 while driving here and back. I wanted to see how close I could get to that or if I could get 1 or 2 more...
And, By awkwardly slowing down, pulling my sunglasses up to try and squint my eyes to see the plate of the vehicle in front of me did a marvelous job in keeping me alert and awake through all 5 hours of the Dead Zone of Nevada...

It is beyond dark and it's nothing but one lane roads for almost all of the last 45 minutes of my 12.5 hour drive. So, I am guessing that I am done Plate Spotting for now....

I have checked off 32 states today... Super happy to get Alaska out of the way (as well as adding Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec) to the list. Canada is EVERYWHERE today! 

Okay... This last stretch of road won't drive itself, no matter how much I wish it to or avoid it by typing a blog post in the dark.

Buckle Up! 
You're almost there.