Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Year in Books

Here is my yearly list of the books that I enjoyed, struggled through, devoured, nibbled on and experienced the whole spectrum of human emotion. Which is ultimately why I read. I connect so much easier to the characters in the books I read over actual people. But, without labeling that fact as pathetic or grounds to be considered a loner, I am glad that I am this way. I can read and watch how all kinds of people experience their world, triumph with them, grieve with them, watch how healthy and unhealthy characters form relationships. They are, in a sense both my "How-To" mentors and "What-Not-to-Do" examples. I love them. I hate them. and I thank them for continuing to teach me about life.

Books Read in 2012 (Listed from start of year to end)
1. It's Kind of a Funny Story- Ned Vizzini
2. The Other Side of the Couch- Gary Small
3. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close- Jonathan Safran Foer
4. The Lost Symbol- Dan Brown
5. Ms. Hannah is Bananas (Reading Date4)- Dan Gutman
6. Miss Small is Off the Wall (Reading Date5)- Dan Gutman
7. A Great and Terrible Beauty- Libba Bray
8. The History of Love- Nicole Krauss
9. Never Let Me Go- Kazuo Ishiguro
10. Mr. Hynde is Out of His Mind (Reading Date6)- Dan Gutman
11. Mrs. Cooney is Loony  (Reading Date7)- Dan Gutman
12. Neverwhere- Neil Gaiman
13. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn- Betty Smith
14. The Book of Lost Things- John Connolly
15. Voluntary Madness- Norah Vincent
16. The Fourth Bear- Jasper Fforde
17. Love in the Driest Season- Neely Tucker
18. Moonwalking with Einstein- Joshua Foer
19. In the Woods (Dublin Murder #1)- Tana French
20. Imagine: How Creativity Works- Jonah Lehrer
21. Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs- Chuck Klosterman
22. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks- Rebecca Skloot
23. Triggered: A Memoir of OCD- Fletcher Wortmann
24. The Bully Society- Jessie Klein
25. The Likeness (Dublin Murder #2)- Tana French
26. Seriously... I'm Kidding- Ellen DeGeneres
27. I Love Everybody- Laurie Notaro
28. Faithful Place (Dublin Murder #3)- Tana French
29. The Maze Runner- James Dashner
30. Escape- Carolyn Jessup
31. On Writing- Stephen King
32. Broken Harbor (Dublin Murder #4)- Tana French
33. Words- Ginny Yttrup
34. The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky
35. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Olsen: Alison Arngrin
36. The Casual Vacancy- J.K. Rowling
37. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia DeLuce #1)- Alan Bradley
38. This is How: Augusten Burroughs
39. The Psychopath Test- Jon Ronson
While it bothers me greatly to not be able to list out 65 novels, which was my goal for the year... 39 books is still an okay reading accomplishment, right?

Either Way...
 
My Top 5 

1. The Dublin Murder Series. I know that this is probably cheating by putting a whole series as one number. but, it's my list, so there!
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close . Such an emotional story and unbelievably interesting and well written novel. and the worst tear-jerker of a movie. Love it!
3. The History of Love. So good that I read it twice back to back.
4. On Writing. Writing and composition pointers from the King himself. I highlighted and underlined this book more than most of my textbooks. Made my desire to become a writer even stronger.
5. Imagine: How Creativity Works. Probably the coolest science non-fiction book I have ever read. It breaks down when and how to allow for our highest level of creativity potential to be produced. It looks inside and explains the companies that use this knowledge to continue to spit out new, original and extremely creative products (The brilliance of Pixar movies as their best example). Such a cool thing to read and learn about.